Step By Step Studio Of Dance (508) 533-1953
9 Lincoln, Medway, MA 02053
Step By Step Studio Of Dance offers a wide range of classes to make your dance experience convenient and worry free. Here are the many classes we offer:
• Pre Ballet: This is a pre cursor to ballet. It develops coordination, rhythm, flexibility, and ballet fundamentals in a fun-loving way.
• Combo: A combination class consisting of 1/2 hour of ballet and 1/2 hour of tap. This class is geared towards 4 to 6 year olds, and teaches the basics in a dance happy way.
• Ballet (& Pointe): A disciplined technique emphasizing proper body placement, basic positions of the body and ballet vocabulary. The class includes barre, center, adagio, allegro, elevation and balance. Beginner - Advanced levels.
• Jazz: This classs helps to develop a sense of rhythm and style. It consists of isolation warm-ups, major muscle warm-ups, stretch, floor progressions and combinations. The styles include Funk, Broadway, Lyrical and Contemporary. Beginner - Advanced levels.
• Tap: The classs consists of foot and ankle warm-ups, floor progressions, combinations and routines. The fundamentals are stressed including rhythm, timing and precision. Soft-shoe, musical theatre, rhythm and jazz are styles of this class. Beginner - Advanced levels.
• Lyric: A style of jazz but balletic in nature. It interprets the feeling and lyrics of the music through motion and facial expression. The class includes center barre, floor stretches, progressions and combinations.
• Hip-Hop: Contemporary dance inspired by today's hit dance and hip hop music. Its style is commonly seen in music videos. Wear comfortable clothes and sneakers and get ready for some fun.
• Modern: Based on ballet, but containing aspects of jazz, drama, and Native American Dance. Based on Graham and Limon techniques. These techniques involve a lot of contracting, releasing and fall recovery. The class also consists of combinations and floor progressions.
• Contemporary: The fusion of a Lyric and Modern class. One of todays hottest subjects.
• Musical Theatre: A fun and uplifting class combining aspects of jazz with stage presentation and facial expressions. The dancers not only dance, they get the opportunity to do some nonvocalized acting. This style is commonly seen in Broadway productions.
• Boys: An energizing combination of jazz, tap and hip hop for boys only!
• Acro: Floor Gymnastics. This class involves conditioning, stretching, balancing and flexibility skills in addition to gymnastic moves.
• Zumba: The Zumba program fuses hypnotic Latin rhythms and easy-to-follow moves to create a one-of-a-kind fitness program. Fast and slow rhythms and resistance training are combined to tone and sculpt your body while burning fat.
All Classes are taught by fully trained and certified instructors who have many years of experience teaching Children and Adults. We are certified and members of Dance Masters of America and Dance Teachers Club of Boston with the American Society.
The studios have sprung dance floors (alleviating stress and fatique on the joints) and have central air for your comfort.
In addition to our regular classes, we offer competitive classes for the more serious student. Competitive students are required to take specific classes in ballet, tap and jazz (Lyric & Modern classes are optional) and are obligated to compete their work in regional and national competitions.
Summer Programs and Dance Camps
We offer a 5 week course in most dance subjects and one week Dance "Camps". The "Camps" offerer classses in all subjects and arts and crafts (for the younger dancers). We have a mini performance on the last camp day. Please call for further dates and information or go to schedules and tuition and click on summer workshop.
We offer birthday parties for children of all ages. We dance, play games, get goodie bags and have fun! Please call for more information.
Missed Classes and Cancellations
Please call the studio to see if classes are cancelled due to inclement weather, or if you cannot attend class due to illness, etc. All missed classes may be made up in classes designated by your instructor. No refunds or credits.
Ballet: Solid color leotard, pink tights, pink leather ballet slippers *for intermediate to advanced levels, split sole ballet slippers are recommended.
Competitive classes: split sole "Bloch" ballet slippers required.
Tap: Solid color leotard, tan, black or pink tights and tap shoes*
*Combo and beginner levels: black Jr. Tyette tap shoes
*Intermediate to Advanced & Pre Comp: tan Mary Jane tap shoes. Pri thru Sr. Comp tan tie oxford taps.
Jazz: Solid color leotard, tan, black or pink tights and tan oxford, jazz shoes.
*Pre thru Sr. Comp levels: Tan gore boots.
(We recommend getting tan, split-soled jazz shoes.
Tan shoes can by dyed black if needed for the recital.)
Acro, Lyrical & Modern: Solid color leotard, tan stirrup tights, Tan foot paws.
(bare feet are optional for acro class)
Hip Hop & Zumba: Anything comfortable that you can “move in” and sneakers.
(Please, no platform or backless sneakers and please don't wear hip hop sneakers outside.)
Boys: Black sweat pants or dance pants, T-shirt, black shoes.
Adults: Clothing suitable for exercising & shoes as noted above.
Parents are encouraged to observe classes during our “Observation Weeks”, which are the first week of November and costume week (tba in the spring). Cameras are welcomed.
"I have been a student here at Step by Step for six years and have just graduated; I absolutely loved it and will really miss it here. It is a relaxed environment where the students can still get serious dance training. The teachers are amazing and really work with each student equally to help them become the best dancer that they can be."
"As a parent you want your child to be in a place where she is comfortable and can reach her full potential. Step by Step Studio of Dance has been that place for my daughter. The Staff take the time to know the child and their family, every dancer feels special. You know at the end of the day that your child's dance experience will make a lasting impression, for all the right reasons!!"
"Step by Step has helped me grow as a dancer and as a person over the years. With a professional and motivated faculty, students always strive to do their best. The welcoming and friendly atmosphere makes Step by Step a second home for many of it's dancers. Being a student here has had a positive impact on my life and I know it has done the same for my friends and teammates."